Saturday, 10 March 2012
Top Ten Book Confessions
1. My mom claims I could read at three. I think I was just a good memorizer, but I have no memory of learning to read...I've had my nose in a book since I was a little kid!
2. My parents used to 'punish' me by cutting off reading time/funds! They claim they felt awful doing it, but it was the only thing that got me super upset.
3. I read Eloisa James's *Kiss Me, Annabel,* and she mentioned using carrot straining to color butter. I wrote Ms. James (who is lovely and wonderful) an email asking if she picked up the detail from the Little House on the Prairie series (Ma Ingalls does this), and she had! She had just read them with her daughter!
4. The night I finished *Twilight,* I was waiting in the driveway, in my pajamas with my daughter on my hip for my husband to get home. I made him take me to three stores IN MY PAJAMAS to look for *New Moon.* (Sadly, I had to wait almost a WEEK at that point to get it!!)
5. I'm so obsessed with Marcus Flutie, the ex-druggie genius with a heart of gold in Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series that I once made my husband a 'You. Yes. You.' t-shirt so I could pretend he was my to-die-for literary love! (I LOVE making iron-on t-shirts!)
6. I've never read any Harry Potter books, BUT it's because I have a plan. I want to wait until my daughter is Harry's age when the series starts and read them with her!
7. I I have read most of the Little House books with my daughter. When Jack, their faithful dog, died, she and I were sobbing so hard, my husband almost had a panic attack.
8. I used to hide in the overhead and read books when I worked at Home Depot, then say I was counting inventory.
9. I have an eye problem that means I have no fine depth perception. I used to feel really terrible about it until I read this book by a woman who had the same problem. She said the vast majority of people with this problem have serious problems reading and never develop a love of books. I felt such immediate relief that I never had that problem, because when I try to imagine a life without reading, it actually makes my heart ache.
10. My husband doesn't read at all. When our daughter was born, he promised to read to her every night, and I often put her laundry away or straighten her room while he reads to her because I think it's the most gorgeous, amazing thing I could imagine listening to! (And she LOVES when her daddy reads to her...he even has 'favorite' kid books now!)
I love all of Liz's Book confessions and hope you enjoyed them to. GO follow Liz on her blog http://elizabethreinhardt.blogspot.com/ and like her FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Liz-Reinhardt/273806945978154
Wednesday, 7 March 2012
Favourite childhood book: The Fairy Rebel by Lynne Reid Banks.I remember reading this one in primary school and I fell in love with it, I think I must have read it about ten times between the ages of 7-10. It’s a sweet little story about a fairy named Tiki who rebels against what is expected of her and befriends a human. I don’t think I ever returned that book to the school - sorry!
School Confession: In secondary school we had a reading challenge every year. I always reached the gold level and read over 20 books for the year. But one year me and my friend tried to out-read each other, I cheated on a few by only reading the first and last chapters, then wrote my report on it. So for that year I ended up with something ridiculous like 50 books on my list, and really I’d only fully read about 30 of them.
Bookcase Confession: I have only read about 20% of the books I actually own.I go on crazy book buying sprees on payday! I don’t really want to count, but I probably have around 400 books on my bookcases and over 1000 on my Kindle. There are books in there that I know I will probably never read but I still keep them anyway.
Book Crush Confession: I have the biggest book crush on Loki from Amanda Hocking’s Trylle Trilogy. Yes I know he is a troll, but I can’t help it! I loved his bad boy attitude in the books and he made me laugh.
Book Shopping Confession: I admit it, I buy books because of their covers!Last week I had a wee wander around Waterstones and picked up Heaven by Christoph Marzi solely for the cover. I didn’t even read the blurb! It wasn’t until I got home and I was going through my bags that I had a proper look at what the book was about. Luckily it looks like something I will like, but I tend to do this a lot!
Guilty Pleasure Book: My guilty pleasure book is probably going to sound a bit strange, it’s Wasted by Marya Hornbacher. It’s a memoir of a girl growing up with an eating disorder. I must have read this book about 6 or 7 times. I only tend to reach for it when I’m feeling down, it makes me stop and think and snaps me out of my mood because no matter whats going on with me, I don’t think my life will ever be that bad. It makes me grateful for what I have, in a strange way it’s sort of my comfort book.
Stupidest thing I’ve done when reading: Gosh there is actually quite a few. I am the girl who has walked into a lamppost because I had my nose in a book! That’s happened to me a few times, I’ve now learned not to read and walk at the same time - thats mainly why I love audio books so much!Speaking of audio books, I listen to one every night when I’m falling asleep. I usually go to my bed about half an hour earlier than usual so I can get through some of the book. But then I fall asleep, strangle myself during the night with my headphones and wake up with someone screaming in my ear and with an ipod shaped impression on my arm. Not only that, but because I’ve fell asleep I can’t remember where I got up to with the book. So I end up listening to the same chapter over and over for a whole week!Someone needs to invent something that won’t strangle me during the night, and a programme that realises I’ve gone to sleep and stops the audio book.
Bookstore Book Confession: Sometimes when I’m in a bookshop and they have a book I really loved somewhere in the back of the teen section I move them all to the front! I did this last week in Waterstones, I made a whole shelf of Fever by Lauren DeStefano because the book was too hidden away for my liking! It’s my way of sharing great books with the people of Glasgow!And for the last one, I’m not a huge fan of tv shows based on books and book tie ins. For example I love Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game, both originally books. I started reading both books and gave up after a couple of chapters, I’d rather just watch the tv show.Same goes for The Vampire Diaries, I read the first three books years ago before they were so popular (i’m talking like when I was 17/18...so what 6 years ago). But ever since the show came out I won’t read any of the new books, but I love the show.Strangely I’m not like that about books turned into movies, I watch the movie and read the book. I honestly don’t know why I’m different about tv shows! lol!
Just want to say a big thank you to Laura for asking me to take part in this Book Confession’s month and I’m really looking forward to reading everyones book confessions!
A big thank-you to Emma for taking part please go follow/like Emma's fb page where she makes the cutest bookmarks https://www.facebook.com/pages/BelleBooks-Charms/390391614310634?ref=ts&sk=wall
Emma's blog www.bellebooksx.blogspot.com
1. Favourite Cover
This was so difficult because there are so many stunning covers out there. One of my all time favourite covers that I just can’t stop staring at is Cursed by Jennifer L Armentrout. I saw this cover ages ago and I cannot wait to read it. That was my instant reaction when I saw it. It’s definitely a cover that says Read Me!
2. Favourite Childhood Book
Anything by Roald Dahl. I loved his books when I was younger and I read them all over and over again. If I had to choose one it would be The BFG, I just loved that book and I know I could pick it up today and love it just as much.
3. Favourite Genre
I have so many favourite genres, right now I love Dystopian and Sci-Fi books but I also love Mythology, Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy and Contemporary Romance. It really depends on what mood I’m in to what kind of book I will read.
4. Books You Read but Don’t Admit.
I read many factual books. I really love Psychology books. It’s very fitting since I am doing a degree is Psychology. I hate reading text books because they are just boring but when you get actual books that have all the facts in without it being a text book, I love them and find them fascinating.
5. Guilty Secret Series.
The Blue Bloods Series by Melissa de la Cruz. I am not a massive fan of these books and I don’t really think they are really that good but I keep reading them anyway so they are definitely my guilt secret, I don’t particularly like them all that much but I still keep reading them.
6. Favourite Book Quotes
“Don’t be afraid to fall in love again. Open your heart and follow where it leads you… and remember, shoot for the moon…”
- Cecelia Ahern, PS, I Love You
“Nobody looks good in their darkest hours. But those are the hours that make is what we are.”
- Karen Marie Moning, Faefever
“I’ve always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect… The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only in passing. It’s just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness.”
- Jennifer L Armentrout, Obsidian
7. Favourite Book Boyfriend
Favourite book boyfriend at the moment has to be Daemon Black from Obsidian. I read Obsidian in October last year and I just fell in love with him. I love his cockiness and his attitude towards Katy. He is the only book boyfriend who has stayed my favourite after months of reading other books.
8. Favourite Lead Male
Aiden from Covenant series by Jennifer L Armentrout. I love him. He’s a total tough guy who fights to protect but he also has the softer side of him where he will do anything to protect the ones that he loves. The perfect Lead Male for me.
9. Favourite Lead Female
Alex from Covenant series by Jennifer L Armentrout. You had to know that was coming right? I love her, she’s such a great kick-ass heroine who will do whatever is takes to protect everyone but also has a vulnerable side to her. She is just amazing and I love how she is so brave and puts a brave front on for everyone. She’s a brilliant lead female character.
10. Favourite Couple
Daemon and Katy from Obsidian by Jennifer L Armentrout. I love their relationship, I think it’s just so hilarious and most of the way through this book I was in fits of giggles at them. I think it’s such a great realistic relationship where you can tell they really like each other but are constantly throwing insults at each other. It’s such a brilliant relationship.
A big thank-you to Kay for taking part go follow/like her on her twitter, fb page & blog!!!!!!!
Blog URL: http://k-booksxo.blogspot.com/
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/K-Books/247869598566771
10. My favorite book cover is Prince of Wolves by Quinn Loftis
9. My favorite character name is Jace.
8. I've never read the Harry Potter books. *Ducks flying books*
7. I've never read the Hunger Games books. *Ducks even further*
6. I go back and re-read all the yummy parts between my favorite characters, but rarely ever totally re-read a book.
5. I'm infatuated with guys on the cover.
4. My favorite book is by Stephanie Meyer, but it's not Twilight ;) The Host, I've read about 15 times.
3. I never read one single book in high school (Shame on ME!)
2. I have to have music when I write. Loud and upbeat music.
1. If there's no love in the book, I'm not interested ;p
Monday, 5 March 2012
Hi to all the YA readers out there today on the Blog we have Nichole Chase YA author of"Mortal Obligation" book one of The Dark Betrayal Trilogy.
1. I turned my walk-in closet into a mini library. (Thankfully we had another one for our clothes!)
2. I've reread all of the Harry Potter books more than five times each. Deathly Hallows is by far my favorite.
3. I had out of town company the night that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released, so I dragged them out to stand in line at Walmart.
4. One of the above mentioned guests made plans to stay at my house when Breaking Dawn was released, (you'd think she'd learn! *tsk*) so I made her go to the local book store for their release party. I made said friend a shirt to wear to the Breaking Dawn release party, even though she had never read Twilight.
5. I've gone to work exhausted because I stayed up all night to read a book. It's happened too many times to count.
6. When Anne McCaffrey died, I cried like a baby.
7. I've chosen a name for my imaginary dragon on Pern.
8. I hardly ever read contemporary fiction. I prefer paranormal, fantasy, or science fiction. (And the occasional mystery.)
9. I thought I would never want a Nook or Kindle, but can't imagine not having it now.
10. I wanted to name my daughter Menolly (from the Dragonriders of Pern) and Clary (from the Mortal Instruments), but my husband vetoed both names.
Nichole Chase is a daydreamer. No, really, just ask any of the math teachers that had the misfortune of seeing her name appear on their class schedule. For years she has had story lines and characters begging for attention, but she resolutely pushed them aside to focus on more normal (read, boring) jobs.
Well, no longer! She is currently heeding the voices in her head and frantically writing their stories. Nichole resides in South Georgia with her husband, energetic toddler, three dogs, and two cats. When not devouring novels by the dozens, you may find her writing, painting, crafting, or chasing her daughter around the house while making monster noises.
Nichole is the author of the Dark Betrayal Trilogy. Mortal Obligation and Mortal Defiance are the first two installments and are currently available for purchase at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and Smashwords. Immortal Grave, the third and final book will be available in April 2012.
You can learn more about Nichole's books on her website, blog, and Facebook page.
A big HUGE thank-you to Nichole for taking part. I love all your book confessions!!!!!
Saturday, 3 March 2012
Here are my top 10 book confessions, in no particular order.
When I first read The Lord of the Rings, I kept skipping to scenes with Legolas in them.
It was a book called The Circle and The Cross by Caisel Mor that made me want to be a writer. I had such an author crush, I even sent an email to him, and he actually responded!
Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite is the first and only book I've ever read and then immediately reread. Loved it. I've since read it at least once a year.
Biggest book character crush? Definitely Ghost from Lost Souls. I'd wish they'd turn it into a movie.
For two years I spent all my pocket money collecting The Sandman graphic novel series by Neil Gaiman. I have never and will never lend them anyone, not even to my closest friends. Most volumes are still in their plastic sleeves on my shelf. They're precious.
I read the complete Twilight series in 10 days and actually enjoyed it (at the time while engrossed) - something I will vehemently deny if ever asked. I think temporary insanity is the only explanation for it.
If I discover a movie is based on a book after seeing the movie, I feel cheated. I'm a little obsessive, preferring to read the book before seeing the film adaptation.
Although I absolutely loved the novel Stardust by Neil Gaiman (who is my favourite author by far), I actually think the movie was better.
The Sandman dust covers by Dave McKean are by far some of my favourite book covers. I also really like the consistency of style with the covers for Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series.
As a little girl, I loved Gary Paulsen's books even though they're 'boy' books. Major tween crush on Brian Robeson and Brennan Cole.
A big big thank you to Suzanne for taking part. Please go check out her bolg and facebook page!!!!
Friday, 2 March 2012
10. I often face out my favourite books- not MY books,but ones I love or think don't get enough love-when I go to the local bookstore.
9. I once got a detention for reading a Sidney Sheldon book behind my 8th grade maths book.
8. I was one of those kids who highlighted the "dirty" parts in junior high and shared them with my friends.
7. I'll often bring a copy of Zombies Don't Cry with me to a resturant or movie theater or coffee shop and just leave it on the table/chair for some random reader.
6. I must have gone to Long John Sliver's six times the week I read Frank McCourt descibe eating fish and chips out of a newspaper cone in Angela's Ashes.
5. I think I've read The Outsiders 47 times.
4. S.E. Hinton was the first author I ever wrote a fan letter to.
3. Stephen King was the second.
2. I practically memorized One Fat Summer one fat summer.
1. I never finished reading The Hunger Games.
Amazon.co.uk link for Zombies Don't Cry = http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombies-Dont-Cry-Living-Story/dp/1605423823/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1330695545&sr=1-1-catcorr
Go follow Rusty blog at http://www.requestedmaterial.blogspot.com/
Thursday, 1 March 2012
I will start this feature off with me I hope you enjoy my TOP 10 book confessions. I could have wrote so many but I hope I picked the right ones.
- I hated reading at school so much so that my friends and family are shocked at how much of a book worm I'am now.
- I only started to read for fun on new years eve 2009. Because after watching Twilight and not beening able to get a babysitter to go see New Moon at the cinema my husband to be brought me New Moon paperback. (Lets just say it wasn't a fun nye for him as I spent all night reading)
- I have only read the first two Harry Potter books.
- My TBR pile is out of control but it doesn't stop me from buying more or wanting more.
- When I got my first ARC for review I was so super excited I did a little happy dance.(By the way I can't dance to save my life and I still get super happy when I get ARC's in the post)
- I read the Twilight series out of order. New Moon,Eclipse,Breaking Dawn then Twilight.
- I secretly love reading Mills & Boon/Harelquin Romance books.(I can see you all cringe at this but please don't think any less of me)
- I stalk all my favourite facebook pages.Which are Book Passion For Life/Beneath The Cover/Totally Bookalicious/BookPics/Peace,Teen,Teen Fiction/Best Books/Bookaholics Book Club. (Go Like/Follow these great fb pages)
- Never ask me what my favourite book is because it changes all the time. I love living in each different story world.
- If I don't read for at least one hour a day I feel sick. (Very sad but true)
I hope you all enjoyed my TOP 10 book confessions. If you don't already please follow me on the blog,My fb page https://www.facebook.com/pages/YA-indie-princess/108905649155587 and Twitter http://twitter.com/yaindieprincess. Please stop by the rest of the March for more TOP 10 book confessions every day! :-)